5.13.2010

Latest Reviews

So I am going to try weekly to compile new album reviews of new stuff I am digging on.  I use all sorts of resources to find new music, but for these posts I will point you loyal folk to metacritic for reviews of the albums.  It is like Rotten Tomatoes on steroids for all media, where they compile reviews in one spot.  Genius!  Let the nonsense begin:

Stuck On Nothing 
Free Energy - Stuck on Nothing
New group out of Philly that is getting acclaim from everyone right now.  Just good old fashion rock and roll with some catchy hooks and great melody.  They are playing at the First Unitarian church at the end of the month, check out Pollstar for more details.
I Learned The Hard Way
Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - I Learned the Hard Way
I will only say this about this album.  It is amazing to me that people can still make music as good as this.  Think motown, horn section galore, and an amazing singer to get it done.  Fourth album by the group.
Review: Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - I Learned the Hard Way
Cosmogramma [Vinyl]
Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
One of the tops in the glitch/noise/beat electronica genre, and this album continues his radness.  Thom Yorke among others make a guest spot, they also played together at Cochella.  Got introduced to him with his take on some Lil Wayne tracks that are off the chain.
Swim
Caribou - Swim
This album is really winning me over.  Has hints of four tet's electronic/sample touches, Dan Snaith's voice sometimes sounds like Erland Oye or the lead singer of Franz Ferdinand.  Very danceable stuff!  Key tracks are Odessa and Leave House.
Review: Caribou - Swim
Latin
Holy Fuck - Latin
Stupendous instrumental band that just smacked me in the face a couple of weeks ago.  New album came out this week.  You can thank me later for this one!



Notable New Albums (this just means I haven't listened to enough of it yet to talk about it, but what I have heard is good):
Spans their range from scream central to bliss heaven.  As good as I've heard from them since Digital Pony
Can anyone tell me how many people are actually in this group? I counted 13 last time I saw them.
Italian pop songs remade with a 40 piece backing band.  wOOt!
20somethings that make fantastic folk music?  Next you'll try and tell me that we landed on the moon.  Wait...what?



Album I refuse to reviewThe National - High Violet 
I just don't care enough about these guys to review the album. But you can stream the whole album below:

No comments:

Post a Comment